From 1 November, those wishing to lodge any planning applications, including modifications, with Kiama Council can do so via the NSW Government Planning Portal. The new system will be mandatory from 1 January 2021.
“This is an exciting new era for planning across NSW, with the Planning Portal providing an easily accessible, user-friendly and transparent system for lodging planning applications,” says Director Environmental Services Jessica Rippon.
“Kiama Council is among the first councils in NSW chosen to make the switch to the new system, which promises a much better experience for our customers and our planners as well.”
Council planners and registered certifiers had been using the Planning Portal since July.
The Portal will be used to lodge:
- Development Applications (DAs), including modifications
- Complying Development Certificates (CDCs)
- Construction Certificates
- Occupation Certificates
- Subdivision Works Certificates
- Subdivision Certificates.
“While this is an exciting change, we recognise some customers may find it challenging, so we are deploying staff to provide the necessary support to help them with the transition,” says Mrs Rippon.
As part of the transition, Council is also integrating its technical planning systems and the Planning Portal, so once an application is submitted to the Portal it will automatically appear in Council’s systems.
Other planning improvements being implemented by Council include:
- developing new points of contact within the assessment process to ensure customers are kept up-to-date on progress
- updating Council’s DA Tracker to provide the public with more information on planning applications
- establishing review programs to simplify the Kiama Local Environmental Plan (LEP) and Kiama Development Control Plan (DCP).