Three facilitated workshops for residents and other stakeholders will be held early on in the long awaited Kiama Town Centre study, so expert consultants can gain an understanding of the community’s views.
Architecture, urban design and strategic planning consultancy Studio GL has already started work, in collaboration with property economics company HillPDA.
Studio GL has significant experience in strengthening town centres through good planning with recent work including the Port Kembla Façade Design Guide, Nowra CBD Development Controls and Scone Town Centre Master Plan. They worked with HillPDA on the award winning Five Dock Town Centre Urban Design Study.
Council says the Kiama study will assist with its planning and development work and to inform the direction of future strategic planning studies and policies.
The study will take approximately three months and will consist of four phases, including the community engagement. Council expects to have the final report early January.
The work will support the development of a functional, attractive, economically viable, resilient and vibrant town for the benefit of businesses and community, with the project aiming to (in their words):
- accommodate growth in the town centre in a form that respects and supports the existing established character
- facilitate the articulation of a clear direction on the future development of the town centre
- provide a blue-print on where and how future development may best take place within the town centre
- provide guidance and direction for the statutory planning functions of Council, especially with regard to the LEP and DCP
- ensure that future development is financially viable, suits the needs of residents and is sustainable
- facilitate the achievement of the underlying principles, as supported by Council, for the improvement of the town centre.
The study will include an economic assessment of needs and opportunities and provide a Town vision, clear direction for future urban design and documentation of requirements including planning controls and suggested infrastructure projects.
In addition to the workshops, Studio GL will utilise Social Pinpoint, an interactive online mapping tool which allows people to post feedback, concerns and ideas related to the study.
Details of consultation sessions:
Local Business Workshop
Tues 6 Nov, 6.30-8.30pm (Venue TBA)
Community Drop-In Session
Weds 7 Nov, 3pm to 5pm, Kiama Farmers’ Market
Community & Stakeholder Workshop
Weds 7 Nov, 6.30-8.30pm (Venue TBA)
Register for workshops by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org, or phoning 4232 0444