The planning proposal for selling off nine blocks of land at Illuka Reserve at Kiama Downs is now on exhibition, and a public hearing has been scheduled by Kiama Council for Monday 26 June.
“The planning proposal is on public exhibition, and people can make written submissions as normal, but the public hearing will allow people to raise their concerns directly with our staff.
“There has been a great deal of interest in what is going to happen with Illuka Reserve, so I encourage the community to use this opportunity to ask any questions they have.”
The plans for Illuka Reserve can be viewed at Council’s administration building or at kiama.nsw.gov.au
“If people cannot make the public hearing, they can still submit their comments in writing up until 4pm on 10 July,” says Mr McMurray.
“Both the feedback from the public hearing and the written submissions will be included in a report to Council on its meeting on 15 August.”
David Connelly, long time campaigner against the sell off, says “There has been no real community consultation so far. It is long overdue.
“Now it is finally happening, they are rushing it through. I’m sure Council would react badly if such a short time frame was imposed upon them.
“I have serious concerns about possible asbestos and heavy metal contamination from the old tip and that it will be a precedent for more sell offs of public land.”
Details: The public hearing with be conducted at the Council administration building, at 2pm on Monday 26 June.
Those interested in attending should contact Edward Patterson on 4232 0444 or email firstname.lastname@example.org