For ten years, Strategic Assistance for Refugee Families (SCARF) has supported people from refugee background (humanitarian visa entrants) to settle into the Wollongong area.
It is a not-for-profit organisation led by a volunteer management committee and doesn’t receive government funding. Their programs are very practical and include helping with homework and getting people’s driving hours up.
If you missed their recent fundraising tins at local businesses, you might like to consider these other ways of helping their cause:
- Donate funds through their website www.scarf1.org.au
- Volunteer as a mentor, tutor, trainer or a committee member. Find an opportunity to match your skills and interests here.
- Become a corporate supporter and show that your workplace or business supports new arrivals. Learn more about how you can help here.
- Use your creative talents. Donate artwork or find a new masterpiece to treasure at ART4refugees.
- Fundraise for SCARF and support our work with the community.
To find out more about SCARF’s work and their range of programs, visit their website.
If you have time to volunteer your skills to assist families, you are encouraged to call SCARF on 4227 1600.